Heureux, Heureux A En Mourir

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Books of 2011

I used to do this on my old blog. It's an idea I got from Leah, at My joy-filled Life

These are the books I read last year...at least the ones I can remember. They are arranged from least favourite, to most favourite. Many are book club books, some are books I read for the Creative Writing class I'm taking right now. To be honest, I think I'm probably missing some books from this list, as most of these are books I read this summer when I was really pregnant and all I did was lie on the patio swing and read, while simultaneously throwing the ball for the dogs. Last winter seems like such a long time ago now that I can't remember reading anything, although I'm sure I probably did. Anyways, clearly these were the most memorable! I would recommend the top 7 for sure, but I actually enjoyed reading all of these books. I put Mockingjay near the bottom only because I felt a bit let down since I enjoyed the first two books in the series so much more.

14.The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd
13.The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, A. Bradley (book club)
12. Mockingjay, S. Collins
11. One Day, D. Nicholls (book club)
10. Secret Daughter, S. Gowda (book club)
9. Midwives, Chris Bojhalian (bc)
8. House Rules, J. Piccoult (bc)
7. My Name is Memory, A. Brashares (bc)
6. Love that Dog, S. Creech
5. Catching Fire, S. Collins
4. Room, E. Donoghue (bc)
3. Water for Elephants, S. Gruen (bc)
2.The Hunger Games, S.Collins
1. The Help, K. Stockett (bc)

Wow, 9 book club books...we seem to have read a lot as a group last year!
My first book of 2012 will be: Cutting Stone, by Abraham Verghese.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these, Sabrina! I read most of these this year, too, and loved them, but I'm going to check out the ones I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did we manage to read such similar books/authors! Hilarious. Great to see your list. I need recommendations on really, really, really good reads. I've got time while Callie breastfeeds and Charlotte is at daycare. I don't want to waste my time with boring books!

    -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read The Forgotten Garden? It's by Kate Morton, and I really liked it. Another fave from my book club was A Prodigal Summer, but Barbara Kingsolver. I think we rated it a 9 out of 10, which is amazing given we have about a dozen or so readers and usually we disagree on whether a book was good or not!

    ReplyDelete